Sunday, October 7, 2007

My mom's birthday

My mom is 75 today. Wow. The idea of my mother's mortality is something I can't even begin to fathom. She is the third sister of four. Peggie, Bettie, Jennie, and Emilie. Peggie died of lung cancer. She was a full ten years older than mom. Bettie came next. She has five children. She hosted Thanksgiving for all of us for years. So strange to walk into a southern home and listen to all those dialects. I loved her sons. They were funny, athletic, one of them was even deaf and I didn't know it b/c he could read lips so well. I think I was ten before I figured it out.
Emilie her youngest sister lives in Mississippi. Her house still isn't the same after Katrina. She has some sort of cancer too. Her son has down syndrome and her daughter and she are very close. All three of them do everything together. Rob is so high functioning. Its sad really, that he lived in Miss. not a lot of services for special ed. He has done well with what he has though.
I love my mom.

I have spent so much time angry at her for doing this to me.....allowing me to be born with a disability. Blame is an awful game. no healing ever takes place. I love her though. She has always been there for me even if she can't tolerate negative emotions.

No comments: