Saturday, March 8, 2008

Misguided and wrong about anger

Ventilation.....venting your anger. I always thought it was a good strategy. come to find out from some reading and one of my client's a boy that can't seem to keep his hands off other kids when he is upset that all venting does is rehearses your anger. There is no problem solving or solution attempted only a release which in the moment might help but in the long run accomplishes nothing except alienating someone that you like. Anger is a feeling or a signal that something is wrong or needs to be changed. It isn't a solution to a problem. It creates more problems if viewed in another way than to help one identify something. Man o Man if only I had grasped this as a younger person. I might be in a much calmer place.

I have held anger up on a pedestal. I told myself it would motivate me, protect me from those who had harmed me. All it has really done is keep me more angry, alone and unable to let go of the things that hurt me before I hurt others and make it worse. Help me learn how to solve, identify and let go rather than vent and gain strength from the noose I have created in my wrong ideas about the helpfulness of anger.

No comments: